|Pint sized veg plot.|
All items have now been planted but, as I planted them, a few extra questions occurred to me which I hadn't thought to ask at the garden centre and I was wondering if any of you lovely folks could help.
- As we dug through the home made compost we discovered a sprouting parsnip top so we planted it. What are the chances of it growing?
- Does 1 seed = 1 carrot?
- Why do I have "seed potatoes" but not "seed carrots" - aren't they all root vegetables?
- Does 1 seed potato = 1 potato? (I hope not, seems a bit silly if it does!)
- How will I know when they're done?
- What pests do I need to watch for?
- Do I need to do anything else now other than make sure they're watered?
- Will the fact that the Morecambe Bay silts underlie the whole plot affect the growth of the plants? (that's why it's a raised bed - our garden used to be tidal 100 or so years ago).
- Will they really taste better than shop bought?
- Why is it called the "simple life" when it requires so much effort?
I appreciate these are probably very silly questions, but I'm a novice here and what I lack in knowledge I make up for with enthusiasm! Many thanks in advance for any and all help.
You may be wondering where my adorable husband was whilst I was busy with the planting, well he was getting up close and personal with the local wildlife and got these rather lovely pics. I say "lovely pics" but if any of those critters start eating my seeds, there'll be trouble!
|Love this one - he looks like a proper bruiser!|
|"Just one more tug and I'll have it"|
|Not too sure what this one is...|
|Ahhh Wagtails - thank you for wagging your tails!|
|And this lovely fellow is waking us up each|
morning with his tap tap tapping.