So, as Autumn gains momentum, here are a few of the reasons I love the season so much.
1. The Colours - there is not a more colourful season to be had. A crisp autumn day is an assault on the senses with the crunching of the leaves underfoot, the tingling of your nose in the cold air and the vibrant colours all around you. Stunning.
|Horse Chestnut - Kendal|
|More from Kendal|
|Beautiful grasses at Burns Beck Moss|
|Hutton Roof Crags|
|Water lillies at Burns Beck Moss|
2. Nature's Bounty - with so many amazing fruits and berries around it would be a sin not to use them, and there are only so many crumbles you can eat...
|We didn't eat these, but they are still pretty.|
|Roll on Christmas!|
|The Life Cycle of the apple, from tree to car...|
|From car to pulp...|
|From pulp to press...|
|From press to juice...|
|From juice to cider.|
3. The wildlife - or more specifically, starling murmurations. If you've not seen one before, make this year the one when you do. Leighton Moss has a stunning display every autumn.
4. The weather - cold crisp mornings, inversions, the stunning pale blue sky...
|The snows started in early Nov in 2012|
|Stormy rainbows over Luce Bay|
|Crisp blue skies over the Langdale Pikes|
|An early autumn inversion over Windermere|
5. The lovely warm pubs... If it all turns nasty, then there's always a friendly pub with a welcoming fire where you can warm up, dry out and sample the local produce...