Friday 16 June 2017

Sunshine and showers

Loch Shiel
There's no point getting annoyed at the weather - if it's going to rain, it's going to rain, so there's no point being miserable about it.  This week is seriously testing the strength of my resolve but I am determined not to get grumpy - this is my 50th birthday tour and I'm going to make the most of it.

One of the things I love most about exploring Scotland is the sheer variety of things to see and do, whatever the weather.  First up was the Falkirk Wheel - we'd planned to visit on a previous tour but never quite managed it - it is a superb feat of artistic engineering (if there is such a thing!) and, for once, the weather was utterly perfect.




I honestly think I must have been an engineer or something in a previous life as I have an absolute fascination with big bridges, tunnels and other oversized structures, all of which explains why, despite not being a Harry Potter fan (I enjoyed the films but that's about it) I insisted our nest stop was the Glenfinnan Viaduct (my birthday tour, I get to pick where we go!).

The location of the viaduct is stunning and it is a truly awesome structure - seriously, look at it - and all built without the aid of any computers!  The site is also an important historic location and the monument to Bonnie Prince Charlie was great for filling in a few blanks in my history knowledge.

"Hogwarts Express" on Glenfinnan Viaduct
There was something quite magical about watching the steam train on the viaduct - never mind Harry Potter (though we could have used his Meteolojinx Recanto spell to get rid of the rain!), being immersed in a landscape with no modern structures made the spectacle all the more special.  We sat in the pouring rain to watch three trains pass over before we called it a day - on the bright side, the pouring rain keeps the midges at bay.

Our next stop was the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Oban which I specifically chose for 2 reasons.

  1. Because the entire site is within a walled garden and I LOVE that sort of thing and
  2. Because one of the reviews of the site said "Don't come here, there's nothing to do" and I love that sort of thing too.



Glen Dubh Reservoir

Oban


The site is wonderfully secluded, peaceful and quiet.  There are plenty of walks up into the nearby woods and, even on a soggy day, the views from Glen Dubh reservoir were superb.  There a 5 different walks starting directly from the campsite and loads of others a short cycle or drive away, plus the wardens were utterly lovely and make you feel right at home from the moment you arrive.

Next stop on our adventure is the Kintyre peninsula where I shall celebrate my birthday in style with swimming (I had a wet-suit for my birthday!), cycling, hiking, drawing, reading and maybe the odd visit to a distillery or two.  Cheers!  😀🍷

No comments:

Post a Comment