|Intercontinental Abu Dhabi|
1. Bathroom nickables: we all do it - but at some hotels it's just not worth doing.
2. Quality of pens: A posh hotel with a dodgy pen is fur coat and no knickers.
3. Snootiness of reception staff: It's clear I don't belong in these places, but how did the staff react to that?
4. Cool factor: Does the hotel just have something seriously cool that will impress your friends?
5. Number of building sites visible from hotel room. This region is growing spectacularly quickly, but how much of that will you trip over?
|Park Regis Dubai|
Category 1: Bathroom nickables. To be fair they all put on a good showing here but the award goes to the Intercontinental: Not only did they offer decent shampoo and conditioner in very lovely bottles but their sewing kit beat the others hands down too - a hard plastic casing with 5 ready threaded needles; that baby will lurk in my handbag for many a year to come and will always be produced with a flourish and accompanied by the phrase "Oh this little thing? I just picked it up from the Intercon last time I was there." The Sheraton comes a very close second as their bathroom stash included a very cute little rubber duck but they lost out because a) I can't mend my skirt with a duck and b) I've seen one before at the Europa hotel in Belfast.
|Some pens are mightier|
|Pool & Dubai|
|The Intercontinental has|
the domed roof.
Category 5: Proximity to building sites. The Intercontinental was practically in a building site, the Sheraton had building work dominating the shore area in front of the hotel and the Park Regis afforded a stunning panoramic view of downtown Dubai which is, basically, one massive building site. This leaves the Ramada, relatively construction free, but for how long? Oman seems keen to play catch up with the rest of the region, but it would be a real shame if that wrecked the wonderful beauty of the place. Does all progress have to come at a price?
So there we have it, a tongue in cheek round up of the posh hotels that were kind enough to take me in and look after me during the course of this week. They really were all absolutely lovely and if you ever get the opportunity to visit the region, even on a schedule as crazy as mine was, then seize it with both hands. I've only got an hour to go now before I can crash out and try and beat my body clock back into shape. Wish me luck!