Sunday 28 April 2019

Why DIY is better than fell walking

Are you sitting comfortably?  Do you have a nice cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit?  Good, because I'm about to let you into a secret.  DIY is in NO WAY better than walking the fells.  DIY is a hateful waste of time and I'm only embroiled in it because I can't afford to shell out for painters and decorators.  Of course I'm blaming all of you for this because if more people bought our books then I wouldn't currently be sitting at the laptop, swathed in the aroma of Deep Heat and trying to explain a 4 foot painted daisy to Steve.  (😉) but, I'm getting ahead of myself...

The last time I was up a fell was on 31st March when I joined the fabulous Debs & Andy from Access TOG for a romp up Blencathra to see the new summit stone unveiled. Since then work, a nasty cold and even nastier home improvements have kept me away from the green stuff.  Don't get me wrong, our builders are wonderful but don't be fooled by all those grinning lunatics on Homes Under the Hammer of Grand Designs - DIY is the work of Satan himself!

Those of you who have followed this blog from the start will recall that back in March 2011, when we eventually moved out of the camper van and into a real home, we knew we had some DIY work ahead of us.  At that point I didn't realise how far ahead it would be nor how much of it there was!  In a nutshell we moved into a bungalow with, what they call up here, an "undercroft", which is basically a full height downstairs (affectionately nicknamed "the dungeon") which we always planned to expand into.  It looked like this.


The builders arrived in late January and it's been undergoing a transformation.  I was all for making a feature of the cement mixer but Steve said no...



We were *incredibly* excited when the stairs went in!


Of course what they don't show you on these TV shows is what a complete pain in the backside it all is.  Yes, I know "it will look lovely when it's finished" but I want it finished within the hour.  You know, like it is on the telly...  Instead we've had days with the utilities switched off and, at one point last week, we were without gas, electric and water all at the same time.  And my desk was here...


And then there's all the stuff I don't understand.  Skirting boards?  Why?  "So they finish the wall off nicely" is the best anyone can tell me so far.  Hateful little strips of wood that gather dust is my view. 

Then "what sort of light switches do you want?" Ones that turn the lights on and off, so long as they do that, I'm happy.  The decisions are endless - what sort of doors, what taps, where should the plugs go, and "do you have any more bourbon creams?"

I'll be honest, we have zero idea about decorating and DIY but our good friends Sarah and Stewart (from Crumble Cottages) have been on hand to advise us, though I am sure our attempts fall woefully short of their levels of attention to detail.

Still, it's coming along nicely, if very, very slowly. And don't peer too closely at anything.  (Also Steve may have been right, the table is definitely more practical than the cement mixer!)


As well as being inept at DIY I am also incredibly messy and have the patience of an over-tired toddler.  Having thrown paint around the walls, floors and me Steve suggested I hone my painting craft in the cupboard under the stairs (Why does that even need painting?  So the hoover can admire my fine brushwork on long lonely nights?  Honestly the only reason I have agreed to paint it is in case anyone ever peers in there and we become known as "those people who didn't paint under the stairs.") 

Anyway,  Steve banished me to my little cell with the famous words "There's not much mischief you can get into in there."  I beg to differ.


It will keep the hoover company and I'm sure Steve will learn to love it eventually.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE GENEROUSLY TO MY "I SERIOUSLY NEED TO GET PROPER PAINTERS AND DECORATORS IN BEFORE THE ENTIRE HOUSE IS COVERED IN DAISIES" CAMPAIGN.  😀  

Buying our books is easy. Click on the link below each picture and you'll go straight to our "Buy the Book" page.  In addition I've just released a book of 10 short stories, all set in real Cumbrian locations and all illustrated with photos.  Each story also has a short overview of the setting to help you plan your visit.

£4.99 Paperback£2.99 KindleFREE for Kindle Unlimited Subscribers


Click here to find out more


Click here to find out more

Click here to find out more

No comments:

Post a Comment